Research shows that those who exercise in the morning, prior to when their day really gets rolling, are more consistent exercisers than those who exercise later in the day. Wonder why?
Work deadlines, last-minute meetings, no socks! must do laundry, grocery shopping, an impromptu dinner date- the list is endless. Bet you have your own reasons that a late day or evening workout seems to never get done....And, I know you intended to do it!
Since our bodies and souls love routine, here are a few ways to shift your workout to the front end of your day:
1. Get to sleep earlier. Sounds simple, and it is, kind of. Since most Americans don't get enough sleep on normal days, being able to exercise in the morning is critically connected to a good night's rest. Calculate when you need to wake to get a short workout in - even if you retire to bed 15 minutes earlier you will be far more rested to make that early morning commitment to exercise.
2. Bribes! They worked when your parents wanted your room cleaned and they can work now. Love that hot latte in the morning? Make it your "reward" for a morning workout. Skip it if you skip your workout. For many of my clients, they don't check email (or Face Book) until their workout is complete, not before.
3. Face Book it. Telling the world - or at least the 200 people you know on Face Book that you are going to commit to a wake up workout and then posting your success is a fine way to create a positive sense of accomplishment. You wouldn't want to lie to your Face Book friends, would you?
4. Have a strategy. Plans are critical for getting results for projects at work or taking that vacation. It's the same with fitness. Lay out your workout gear at night so it's not a fire drill searching for that left sneaker in the morning. Raining or snowing and you hate the idea of traveling to the gym? In home workouts are a very reliable and easy "go to" option for many. It's the way I get my daily workouts done, sans contact lenses and makeup.
5. Have another strategy when the above one fails. It happens, the best laid plans and all that. Life happens, the dog gets sick or your best friend is in crisis- create a five or ten minute workout - Tabata comes to mind! that you can do and will do if/when life interrupts your morning exercise routine.
Becoming a wake up workout-er is possible. Follow the ideas above and by spring you'll forget you exercised any other time!
Need help creating your morning moves, or selecting an in home work out? That's what I live for - give me a call! 203.877.5270